Thursday, February 9

First night results:

It's 7:14 AM and Gwen's still asleep in her crib. She didn't make a peep all night long! She only cried for about 13 minutes after we left her room last night at 8:45. All night, I kept waking up and checking the monitor to make sure it was really working and I'm going to be pretty happy when she finally wakes up because, frankly, my arms ache for her right now! She was such a little trooper last night and I hope we have a good experience tonight too.

UPDATE: We're nearly a month into this new bedtime process now and Gwen is doing great!

She eagerly runs to the stairs when it's time to go up and have Mommy and Daddy read to her (something we do for 20 minutes each night before she goes to sleep.

Daddy gets three or four books and Mommy puts Gwen in her crib. She grabs her froggy and her lovey and puts her head on her pillow while Mommy and Daddy sit on the floor next to the crib. Twenty minutes later, we say night-night and she gives us kisses through the slats of the crib (if she's not already asleep). She whimpers just a little bit but the instant her light is out and her door is closed, she's quiet and, presumably, off to sleep!

She sleeps straight through the night and wakes up about 11 hours later.

I can't tell you how much this has changed our life! Were it not for this, I'm sure there's no way I'd be able to be of sound enough mind to consider adopting another child! My husband and I get to sleep in the same bed, I get to sleep all night long without a toddler crawling up on my face, and Gwen gets such good rest at night that she tends to not need as much of a nap during the day (which is fine). Everyone is so much happier!

7 Comments:

Blogger Amy C said...

WHAT A BIG GIRL SHE IS!!!!

Now it's Natalie's turn...

Amy

February 09, 2006 8:09 AM  
Blogger Lissa said...

Terrific!!! I think it's wonderful. I hope tonight goes as well. It's hard what you're doing, but I think it's way harder the longer you wait. Give her an extra snuggle today and enjoy the rest when you can get it!
Lissa

February 09, 2006 8:15 AM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Glad to hear it went so well. What a difference sleep makes.

Good luck tonight.
Tammy

February 09, 2006 9:47 AM  
Blogger marilyn said...

What wonderful news! I hope it continues. Remember it took us 9 very long days with Emilia and she was younger. Hang in there. It will just get better and better. Sweet dreams to all of you:)

Marilyn
weesitbaby.blogspot.com

February 09, 2006 1:44 PM  
Blogger Jen R. said...

I hope it keeps working well for you. It's so hard to hear your baby cry and not respond..but it will be better in the long run if it continues this way!

February 09, 2006 2:41 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Donna,
I am so proud of you and pleased for you! I had done the cry it out method with my other children quite successfully, but like you I wasn't sure it was the thing to do with a child who had been an orphan. I was holding Gwen to sleep the first week or so while we were in China, and it was a painstaking process, because she'd wake up when I moved to put her in bed and I'd have to start over. You know the drill. Fortunately, a friend I made while we were there encouraged me to let her cry it out... they had with their newly adopted daughter. Her words encouraged me to try it... same as you, it took only 15 min or so the first time... we were in a hotel so we had to sit in the bathroom until the crying stopped. We've never looked back and she goes to bed without a peep now and sleeps all night. I wish you the best in the coming nights... you will be such a happier mommy!! Love, Lynne

February 09, 2006 3:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yea Donna!! Good for Gwen!! It will get better and better- sometimes it's just that they don't want the party to end (just like Tenley- right now in fact).
Sweet dreams!!!

~Michelle
www.yoichoichoi.blogspot.com

February 09, 2006 10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->