Thursday, April 20

"Language Littles"

Here's another goodie we purchased for Madeline's next care package: Ling from Language Littles!

She's a cute 16 inch doll that speaks 25 different words and phrases in English and Mandarin. Gwen liked her and it's possible that we'll have trouble when we finally have to shove her in the box and mail her off!

Maddy is from Qinzhou in Guangxi Province. We've heard that she very likely does NOT speak either Cantonese or Mandarin but, rather, a unique dialect to her region. So even though Ling is bi-lingual, she'll still (probably) sound totally foreign to Madeline.

If you've read our blog for a while, you know that we stroll through the local mall every morning. Even though the Mall-Moms are pretty snobbish, the vendors aren't and we've gotten to be quite friendly with many of them -- including the people who operate a costume jewelry kiosk. Gwen is mesermized by the mannequin heads and always has to stop and look at them. Over the months, I've bought several sparkley things there for Gwen and even a few for myself. It's owned and operated by a nice woman (and her father?) and she's from Guangdong Province in China.

I mentioned that we're adopting another child from Southern China and she gave me lots of information about Madeline's town and her culture. I asked her if she'd let me pay her to translate a list of questions for Maddy's foster mother and she was happy to translate the questions but insisted that I not pay her. She did a beautiful job! I'll scan them and upload them to the MSN site so other families with kids in Foster Care can print them out and use them.


5 Comments:

Blogger Family Bits said...

Gwenny looks so much older in those pictures. She always did have good presence though. Ive always thought that she looks like such a social butterfly. She seems to really know what that bracelet is about too. Cady still wears her red thread bracelet for all of 3 minutes then throws it off.

April 20, 2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Amy C said...

oh that's awesome. I love Gwen's braclet. Natalie and her would so get along shopping for pretties!!! I have her a few things that were mine when little and recently bought her a beautiful Tanzanite ring for when she's older... It's my favorite stone actually. I bought three tanzanite rings that day... I sort of have an obsession over Tanzanite. I think we'd all get along shopping for the bling... lol

She is such a beautiful baby!!! and so is Maddy they are going to get along so well...

That lady that did the translation for you is such an angel.. And to ger information from someone that knows this part of the region is great....

Can't wait till September!!!

Hugs...Amy

April 21, 2006 5:14 AM  
Blogger asiangard said...

That's awsome that the lady did that for you!
I love the bracelet.
When Kai-Li was 100 days old, we had a red egg and ginger party for her and she recieved many nice 24k gold bracelets and and necklace and anklets, I love the way little girls look with some bling! haha

April 21, 2006 2:59 PM  
Blogger Joannah said...

I really like that doll. What a great idea. I think I'll add that to my wish list for Jillian.

April 21, 2006 8:38 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

Your mall walks sound fun! How wonderful of the woman to translate free for you.

I love all the pics you put up!

April 23, 2006 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->