Sunday, April 9

My first house

Because of Madeline's adoption, I recently visited the County Recorder's Office of Santa Clara county to get another certified copy of my birth certificate. My only other copy went to China last year (with my dossier) for Gwendolyn's adoption.

Unlike my last certified copy, this one was an actual photocopy of my original birth certificate -- including my parents signatures and our home address in 1961!

I immediately emailed my dad and told him that I'd located the house we lived in when I was born. Here's what he said:


Mom and David

Me and David

"The house belonged to a Manager at Lockheed Missiles & Space Company that I worked for in Sunnyvale. Can't recall his name. I think the place would probably sell for under $20K at that time. As I recall, there was a Fertilizer Plant around Alviso. When the wind was just right, the aroma was not pleasant!! haaha Don't really remember how long we stayed there before moving to an apartment in Santa Clara. We had just arrived in town, and were unpacking when your Mother got a paper cut on her eye. We went to the Emergency Room at O'Conner Hospital to have it looked at. Anyway, we figured as long as we were there, be would make an appointment to meet with an OBGYN because of her pregnancy. He was at the Hospital on that weekend and we spoke briefly with him. Determined that she was in the area of 7 months. You arrived before we could keep the appointment that was set up! Our landlord lived next door and they took care of David while you were being born! You remained in the Hospital over a month. The lung situation, not withstanding, They wanted you to be a full 5 pounds before you left! You know the rest of the story!"


You can see that the house has been renovated. The roof and windows are new but little much has changed.

Above, there's my mom and brother in 1961 and (to the left) me and Gwenny today.

Would you be surprised to know that this 1116 square foot house is now worth over $600,000 dollars?

Ahhhh! Walking down memory lane is so much fun! Especially when you have a camera!

11 Comments:

Blogger The Bainbridge Family said...

Hi Donna,
That's pretty neat!
(and alas, I am not surprised by the price tag....)
Anna

April 09, 2006 11:18 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Hee hee.... well, considering where you live Anna, I didn't expect you'd be too surprised by the price! :)

April 09, 2006 11:38 PM  
Blogger Stacey T. said...

That seems a little low for a price.....around here that would go for a Million and a half!!! What a great memory for you!

April 10, 2006 7:32 AM  
Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

That is cool...My Dad still lies in the house I grew up in...I am trying to get himto sell it and cash out!
Lisa

April 10, 2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

oops, the "V" on my computer is tempermental...I meant "live", of course!

April 10, 2006 9:16 AM  
Blogger Eliza2006 said...

What a fun post!

Tiffany

April 10, 2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger Aimee said...

WOW...that's awesome. I bet you're glad that the house is still there. Living in CA, doesn't surprise me how exspensive that house is now. Crazy to think only 20(k) could of bought that house!

April 10, 2006 2:20 PM  
Blogger Jen R. said...

Amazing..the appreciation!

April 10, 2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger R&H said...

wow, how fun!!!!

April 10, 2006 7:39 PM  
Blogger Everyone Has a Story... said...

How fun! My parent's sold their house in Carmel for a whopping $16,000.in the early 60's(Now worth close to one million!) BIG MISTAKE!
Lesson learned.
Thanks for sharing the photos, they are great!

April 13, 2006 8:38 PM  
Blogger Sjoukje said...

Hi Donna,
What a lovely post! I remember that I stared at my own birth certificate (a photocopy, like yours) and what struck me most was that it stated something like: "today, ..., XX [= my father], old 24 years, appeared before YY [= municipality official] to declare that out of his wife ZZ [= my mother] was born a daughter...."
I mean "out of his wife", that is really what it said. (In Dutch). I had horrible visions about my mother out of whom I appeared with my father witnessing it. And why had that official had to know that? ;-)
Anyway, all this is to spare for the adoption girls. Perhaps Andrew should go to the municipality and declare that Out of the Plane came his daughter....? (Only joking).
Sjoukje

April 14, 2006 12:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->