Friday, December 9

How many Research Scientists does it take to teach a baby to count to five?

Tonight, our friends Kevin and Jan came bearing gifts of Gourmet Mandarin Cuisine from the Mandarin Gourmet. We ate until we couldn't manage another bite and then we threw in a slab of German chocolate cake just to prove that we're not wimps.

While Jan and I chatted, Gwendolyn entertained the men with her newest toy, the Leapfrog Learning Playground. Through touch and sound, it teaches the letters of the alphabet, numbers 1 through 5, and colors and shapes. It does some other stuff too and she's pretty impressed with it!

In the picture, above, she's pointing out to Kevin and Daddy where the "O" is. Even though there are twenty six letters to choose from, she likes that letter the best and shows her loyalty by ignoring all of the others. We've been serenaded for hours by her toy enthusiastically announcing "O -- O -- O O -- O -- O O O" in a lovely melodic monotone female voice. It would have been unbearable were it not for her big brother's selfless effort to introduces some variety by coming along, periodically, and spelling out P O O P.

As if we don't already have enough of *that* around this place!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hysterical... and I am guessing that the answer is it takes exactly as many Research Scientists as you have available!

Gwen is stunning (have I said that already?) Looks like so much fun!

Missy
Chloe's Mom since 12/8/05

December 09, 2005 9:16 PM  
Blogger Alyson and Ford said...

We loved the Leapfrog Learning Playground.

We are certain one of these is in our daughter's future...

O-OOO-OO-O-OOO (Just practicing)

December 10, 2005 5:59 PM  
Blogger M3 said...

Ooo, that looks like a cool little toy. We might have to get one of those for Funshine since it has the official Gwen stamp of approval.

(The "o" obsession is hilarious. I wonder what it is about that letter?)

December 10, 2005 10:31 PM  
Blogger Family Bits said...

:-) Big brothers are wonderful for stirring the pot. I wonder what Daniel is going to teach Cadence...can't wait.
I like that toy. I've been trying to find educational toys, and so far all I have is big puzzles, and of course big legos that daddy had to get for her.

December 11, 2005 10:42 PM  
Blogger Sjoukje said...

Hi Donna,

I instantly smiled when I read that she goes for the 'O'. I have a post on my own site from when my youngest son wasn't 2 yet, that he had such a liking for the letter 'O'. We have a blackboard with coloured magnetic letters on it (smallcaps) and my Hidde would go over there and always pick the yellow 'o' from the board. He would take it on excursion and we would find it back in one of our shoes, for example, or in a pan in the bottom drawer in the kitchen, or whatever. My husband, being a scientist, subjected him to many experiments, placing the yellow 'o' on odd places between the letters on the blackboard, but he would always know it and pick it.

I always explained his o-liking because my last name starts with an o. But now that I read that all children with the Leapfrog learning playground like O's, I'm beginning to doubt ;-)

Sjoukje

December 12, 2005 12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->