Wednesday, November 30

Gwen's Baby Dolls

Earlier this year, I started looking for baby dolls for Gwen. I wasn't sure if she'd like dolls so I knew the few I picked out might be the only dolls she'd ever have.

I found three Corolle dolls that I really liked. They're made very well, have soft bodies, smell of vanilla, and (best of all) they're machine washable. I thought the Asian ones were absolutely precious too and I was happy that her first dolls would have brown hair and eyes like her!

All three dolls lived on a shelf in Gwen's room during the wait for referral. After referral, I took the smallest off of the shelf and mailed it to her SWI in China. The other two waited here at home. Today was their first face to face meeting! It was a supervised 'visitation' since, at 17 months, Gwen is too young to have nice dolls to play with.

She's been admiring them up on the shelf ever since she came home in mid September. A few times, I carried her to them and let her touch their tiny toes but she seemed nervous -- as if they might be real babies. Lately, she's been more interested and she often points at them and makes her favorite baby noise which means "May I please see that, Mommy?" but sounds something like Uhhhhhhnn!

In anticipation of this special meeting,I grabbed the camera, pointed it at her, then took the dolls and handed them over. The picture above is her first reaction. Then she looked down at the larger doll and said "Hi!" about 100 times! Here she is (below) doing that. It was very cute!

She seemed to really liked them and lovingly carried both of them around for about ten minutes. Then she plopped them on the floor and ran out into the hall and banged on her big brother's door so he'd open it and she could listen to him practice his electric guitar. She really loves music - any type of music! Raffi, Andrea Bocelli, or AFI. She loves it all!

The jury is still out on whether she really liked the dolls. They're back up on the shelf for now. We'll try this again in a few months.

8 Comments:

Blogger Family Bits said...

Donna, that's precious!!
Especially that she kept saying "hi" to the doll. It's something I hadnt thought about, that Cady might not KNOW what a doll is yet.

December 01, 2005 6:58 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Awweee... that's so sweet! I can't wait!!!

December 01, 2005 2:36 PM  
Blogger Lisa and Shane said...

I am just in love with Gwen - she is just so beautiful and precious - what a great moment with her dolls.

Lisa

December 01, 2005 6:10 PM  
Blogger ~ Alison said...

Adorable!! I have the same two dolls sitting in Mali's closet (along with a few more). I hope she enjoys them as much as Gwen appears to enjoy hers =)

December 03, 2005 5:34 AM  
Blogger Sjoukje said...

They're beautiful, these dolls!

I have only boys myself and I bought dolls for the two oldest ones. They did show some interest - stress 'some' - and my mother even spent hours in a row to make clothes for them. But after a while the dolls were mainly used for throwing in the air, or for 'contents' that could be put in the truck, or any such things. Not for playing!

Still, it's a good thing we have them around somewhere - sometimes they bring little girls home to play with after school and many times I caught the girls playing with the dolls. I secretly observed them: Aha, that's what girls do with dolls... and it's certainly not what (my) boys do with them ;-)

Anyway, it's great that Gwen loves the dolls. As we love her!

Sjoukje

December 04, 2005 2:24 PM  
Blogger Andrea (MaoMaoChong de Mama) said...

I have several Corolle Asian dolls for Bella as well, and she really likes playing with them. She lovingly puts them to bed and wraps them up in her snuggle blanket or a washcloth for the littl one, or has us wrap them up. And then she rocks them. And then she throws them on the ground and says "Uh-oh, Owie" and picks them up and gives them a kiss. Too funny! I don't have any problem with her playing with them--that's why I got the Corolle dolls (besides their being so darned cute!), because they are "play" dolls and not those silly display type dolls. I covet Gwen's Kim doll with the pigtails. I didn't get one of those (yet!) and Bella came to us with pigtails, so that one would really look like her.
BTW, Thanks Donna for the tip about Blog spammers. Now can you tell me how to post multiple photos in one blog? Mine come out with the blog formatting all funny.
Hugs! Andrea

December 11, 2005 12:39 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Andrea, I had trouble posting multiple photos and getting them to wrap correctly so I edited the html to add a table and put the photos in that. It's a pain but it's the only thing I've found that works. :)

Donna

December 11, 2005 12:32 PM  
Blogger Andrea (MaoMaoChong de Mama) said...

Hmm, editing the html to add a table. Umm, I guess I won't be doing that anytime soon! It's all I can do to get a blog up once a month.
-Andrea

December 15, 2005 10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->