Friday, December 16

Gwen is talking....maybe

This morning, Gwenny pointed at her baby dolls and said "b'dolls!" Then, as if to convince me that it wasn't just a fluke, she said it again two more times.

Later this afternoon, while I was throwing clothes in the dryer, she was a few feet away at the baby gate and when I peeked around the corner to see what she was up to, she saw me and announced "Hi Mama!"

So, she's added a few words to her very limited vocabulary of "baby", "again" and "No! No! No! No!"

She's also been pointing at everything and saying "spurdity!" for about a month and we assumed it was baby babble but finally figured out that she's saying "It's pretty!"

She won't really repeat any of this on command. I wonder if it really counts as speech if she won't use it regularly. Most of the time, she communicates by pointing and grunting or answering yes/no questions with "okay" or "no" and the appropriate head nod. All in all, I think it's pretty amazing for a child who's only been hearing English for just a little bit more than 3 months.

Even though she's not speaking much, she does seem to understand everything we say to her. We were coming home in the car last night and it was dark and I was a little bit concerned that she was falling asleep so I put my hand in the back seat and tried to touch her and determine if I was touching a sleeping child. It was useless so I simply asked her to touch mommy's hand and, sure enough, she did! Then she giggled. My darling girl amazes me every day.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

That is totally taling! My son only grunted until after two! Pretty soon she'll be talking your ear off!
Lisa

December 16, 2005 2:02 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Bet you melted when she said "Hi Mama", I know I would have!

Donna :)

December 18, 2005 5:32 PM  
Blogger Shana said...

Wow! Sentences! What a smart girl! There will be new words (or phrases) every day now! Congratulations! :)

December 19, 2005 9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spurdity! I love it.

December 20, 2005 6:15 PM  
Blogger Cindy Bennett, CTA said...

Gwens baby dolls are real cuties,Donna! did you order them on line? they look like asian baby dolls and those dont seem to be plentiful in the local stores.

Cindy
Becoming Amelia's Mom

December 27, 2005 9:22 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

your daughter is just darling... my eva has that same caitlin doll (with the headband) and i love how it smells so sweet!

if you don't mind, i will be quoting your post re: interntet privacy... i am getting tired of trying to explain why i am comfortable with a blog and your explanation is better than anything i have tried to convey!

December 27, 2005 12:42 PM  
Blogger Andrea (MaoMaoChong de Mama) said...

Bella starting saying "I want it" on December 21st or 22nd--just in time for Christmas! And she's working really hard to speak in complete sentences--literally working hard, you can almost see the wheels turning. Sometime right before Christmas she said "Mama comb Baba hair" (she's Baba)--pretty impressive, I'd say. I find it completely fascinating to watch her learn to talk--and she seems to be finding the process pretty fascinating as well!
-Andrea

January 12, 2006 11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->