Tuesday, November 15

Older and wiser?


Last time I had diapers this size in the house, here's who was wearing them!

Yep, that's my baby boy -- Michael.

We're all 17 years older now and there's no doubt that Gwendolyn will benefit from my extra years of experience and maturity.

I feel so much more calm this time around. I've lived through the febrile seizures and the midnight trips to the emergency room. I've squirted Bactine on a hundred pairs of skinned knees and kissed ten times as many other types of boo-boos. I've juggled work and t-ball practice and dinner and still managed to find time to do a load or two of laundry. And I'll admit that it wasn't always stress free. But there's less stress now because 17 years has given me some extra time to acquire and hone the most important tool a parent can have: perspective.

I'm glad to have this opportunity to be a mommy to another little one. It was interesting to see that most of the other families in our travel group were over 40. I'd love to hear from other "over 40" parents!

7 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

Errr...depends is that "over 40" and had kids before? Or just "over 40"?

November 15, 2005 4:15 PM  
Blogger Jen R. said...

Does your son know you're posting embarassing baby pictures of him on the internet?

November 15, 2005 4:42 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Hi Johnny! Over 40 with or with prior kids.

I don't think kids make us wiser (just grayer!).

:)

Donna

November 15, 2005 5:41 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Jen, that picture isn't embarrassing. You wanna see embarrassing? :::wink::: I've *got* embarrassing! Hee hee... but I'm saving them to show his girlfriend first.

Donna

November 15, 2005 5:42 PM  
Blogger Eileen said...

I'm 41, have a 15 year old and now a 2 year old little girl from China. I keep hearing how older parents have more patience but not me! My little bundle of energy "I know what I want and I'll have a fit if I don't get it!" has me WORN OUT! And we're adopting again!!! :-) I do think I have some of the perspective you mentioned. I know how fast time flies and before you know it they're bigger than you. :-) The years fly by but the days can seem awfully loooonggg.

November 16, 2005 12:07 PM  
Blogger M3 said...

I'm not 40 yet, but if these referral delays keep up... well who knows. >:-/

Cute pic of Michael. He looks like he just slapped his hands down and is saying "now listen here, I'm gonna need the keys to the car and a later bedtime!"

November 16, 2005 8:28 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Eileen, congrats on your decision to jump back into it for a third round of diapers and attitude! Just keep chanting to yourself: "They keep me young! They keep me young!"

Mary-Mia, the referral delay comment cracks me up! I hope you've still got a few good years left by the time you get that phone call! As for what Michael seems to be saying in that picture -- you've perfectly nailed what he's saying NOW! He was a sweet, compliant, little darling back in those early months. :)

Donna

November 16, 2005 9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->