Friday, November 11

Our newest sleeping arrangements

As you know, Gwen climbed out of her crib soon after we came home. So we dropped the mattress to the floor and that foiled her escape plans but she found an even more clever way to get out of her crib before morning --- Screaming her pretty little head off!

About 4:00 AM, she wakes up and absolutely detests her crib. Nothing puts her back to sleep except getting every bit of her body on TOP of Mommy. Then, just as soon as she falls back to sleep, she rolls off and kicks and spins perfect prone cartwheels using anything her feet can find (my face or my left breast, for example) for leverage. She wakes up all rested and adorable and I get up looking like I've been in a fist fight!

So we've been experimenting with different types of crib/bed arrangements and this one seems to be working pretty well!

She loves her crib (until 4:00 am, remember?) and really seems to want to put her feet on the rails. I think that's why she was doing all of that spinning when I put her in bed with me. She was looking (with her feet) for the rails of the crib.

Now, she sleeps in her crib and when she wakes up in the middle of the night and wants Mommy, I can come to her room and lay down and be close enough that she'll actually stay on her own side! That long skinny white pillow was a gem of a purchase from Target. It keeps her from rolling to my side and protects me from nocturnal assaults but is low enough that she isn't threatened by it.

So far so good! We're all getting our beauty sleep! :)

9 Comments:

Blogger Sjoukje said...

Oh Donna, I do hope that you will get more sleep soon! I remember these tiresome days all too well (in fact, they haven't fully ended yet). But if this beautiful arrangement won't do it, what will? ;-)

Love your site more and more. And oh, by the way, I had another check the other day and guess what... blogger is no longer blocked in Beijing! So I will take up mine, again.

Sjoukje (from the Netherlands)

November 11, 2005 11:13 AM  
Blogger Jen R. said...

The joys of motherhood..my son runs in every night promptly at 3:00 or so and has to climb into bed with us. I was wondering how long we will have to sleep with our children?

November 11, 2005 11:25 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

Hi Sjoukje! I'll be following your blog while you're in Beijing!

Jen, my son crawled into my bed at 3:00 am every morning until he was 11! Actually, he was easier to sleep with when he got older. As a toddler, his trick was to turn sideways and put his feet under my ribs and lock his knees (all in his sleep!). Oh boy! Isn't that fun! But they grow up so fast so I'm dedicated to just treasuring each moment!

November 12, 2005 1:26 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Pretty innovative set-up you've got there, Donna!

Hey, where did you find Gwen's crib? It's exactly what I'm looking for and haven't been able to find yet.

Kim

November 12, 2005 1:48 PM  
Blogger M3 said...

Wow, that is an intricate arrangement, that's for sure!

Love the beautiful pink and green bedding. So cute!

November 12, 2005 1:50 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Hi Kim -- information about the crib is here: Gwen's Nursery

We're really happy with it.

Mary-Mia, the bedding was our inspiration for the room. The froggy stuff came later ;)

Donna

November 12, 2005 5:25 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Looks like you found a great sleeping arrangement...hope it continues to work for a while so you can get some sleep.

I love, love, love Gwen's bedding. The colors are beautiful together.

Donna :)

November 12, 2005 7:35 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Great idea!! I lover the bed set.. it looks similar to the one I bought for Gracie by Lamb & Ivy.

November 12, 2005 8:16 PM  
Blogger The Bainbridge Family said...

Hi Donna
That's too much..!!
You know, Norah does what we call the "three stooges" technique around her crib at night too. She sometimes got stuck with some appendage trapped between the rails. So, we "cleverly" tried the Sleep sack trick...worked for about a day and then she learned to spin with said suit on...
She does like to sleep in the funniest positions and she always looks for the rails at night....
Another favorite at the moment: picking her feet up and banging them on the side of the crib...you know just because she can...
Looks like you've found a solution... We are already planning for the day when we need to put the mattress on the floor..Yikes it's going by so fast!
Anna

November 16, 2005 10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->