Saturday, November 5

A few thoughts about being a Stay At Home Mom (SAHM)


I spend 19 hours per day with Gwendolyn. I used to spend 10 to 12 hours per day at my old job. Gwen is much cuter than my old boss but much harder to work for!

Daddy has Gwen from 8 to 9 am and 8 to 9 pm and Gwen takes a three hour nap. That's 5 hours. The other 19 hours, she's with me! But I'm not complaining! She's adorable and we really are having fun even though I've never worked so hard in my life! Funny thing is, I've never considered myself to be the SAHM type.

I went back to work 8 weeks after my son was born and didn't regret it. I was blessed to have wonderful day care and his first day care provider remains my very good friend all these years later. In fact, she was one of our adoption references! (Hi Denise!!)

I've worked outside the home since I was 17. I finished HS early and did all of my college while working full time. I've been a court reporter and a pilot, a US Army commissioned officer, a counselor/social worker and a deputy sheriff. But the most amazing job title I've ever held was "full time mom". I know not every mom can afford this luxury (and I'm not being critical of those who can't) but I'm really feeling blessed that we can.

Recently, Gwen fell asleep in a plastic bin containing a bunch of her toys. I loved sitting right there next to her and watching her do this! One second she was playing contently and the next, she was fast asleep! And I had the privilege of seeing her transition from one blissful state to the other with my own eyes! It might not seem like much but these are moments that I missed with my son (now age 17) and I know I can't ever have that time back. But I have it now and I'm thrilled even though I sometimes get tired of baby games and babble and grow lonely for the company of my adult friends. My other China adoption pals are my lifeline to the outside world and I thank all of you so much for being here for me! Both here in cyber land and also in the real world outside! I'm blessed to know you and I'm so excited to know that our babies will grow up together!

7 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

Won't hear me ever say anything snarky about SAHM. A tough job that I'm not sure I have the mental fortitude to pull off!

November 06, 2005 5:03 AM  
Blogger Shelley said...

What a great post. Gwen is very lucky to have such a wonderful mom. Shelley

November 06, 2005 6:10 AM  
Blogger Jacquie said...

Very sweet post Becca.

And thanks to Johnny, my new word of the day is "snarky"!

November 06, 2005 6:34 AM  
Blogger M3 said...

You know it's interesting, if you had asked me a year ago if I would ever stay at home I would have looked at you like you were crazy. I was on the career track, man!

But somewhere in the last year my priorities shifted (life priorities, not just kid priorities), and suddenly that whole corporate appeal dimmed for me. So I took a deep breath, hopped off the merry go round, embraced a strict budget, and started enjoying life, learning to relax, and getting us and the house ready for our new baby. It's been awesome, and I can't wait for the next step. I know it won't be easy, but I think I'll be in such a better state of mind having had a break with the evil corporate empire. ;-)

November 06, 2005 7:05 AM  
Blogger Yoli said...

Becca what a lovely post. I think Gwen has come at the right time in your life and you both are reaping the benifits of this love.

Yoli

November 07, 2005 5:33 PM  
Blogger Jen R. said...

I used to be concerned about quitting my job and raising children. Somedays, it gets a bit frustrating not having adult conversation. But, I am so blessed to be able to watch my children grow up and that we have the financial means to do so. I also think that whatever "called" us to our adoption decision has been wonderful. We are learning so many great things and meeting new people..all before the new bundle of joy arrives!!

Gwen's got a great Mommy..

Jen

November 07, 2005 5:39 PM  
Blogger Family Bits said...

Donna, I completely understand your wanting to be a part of Gwen's life while she's little. I know I'll be able to appreciate Cadence because I already know how fast time flies when your child is younger....It makes me think of that old song...
Turn around, and he's two. Turn around and he's four. Turn around and he's a young man walking out of the door.

November 08, 2005 12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

-->